the results says that the retained austenite was only 7% . Once the carbides have formed in the melt they are significantly larger than if they form during solidification of the powder, reducing toughness. However, there is a very specific reason that cobalt is found in S110V. This isn't a knife to beat on or put any lateral pressure on. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. The changes were likely made to improve “manufacturability,” such as issues with gas atomization, forging, or annealing of the steel. Subscribe to our newsletter to get a free guide on ”your subject”. This is the only example of using cobalt for this purpose in a stainless tool steel that I am aware of, and is one of the biggest innovations of S110V in my opinion. Each knife comes without scales or … Native® 5 FRN Dark Blue CPM S110V. I didn’t mention clogging of the nozzle in this article as that is not the only issue. With that said, the difference between the 2 is that the 0888 is uncoated and comes with a composite S110V and 14C28N blade, while the 0888MAX is black DLC coated and approximately half of the 0888MAX knives feature Maxamet steel, and the other half have M390 steel bl… Understand that a keen edge requires a dimension of around 100nm (1/10 of a micron) and the vanadium-rich carbides in Maxamet, or S110V, or even the chromium carbides in ZDP189 are 1-2 microns in size. S110V's data sheet mentions, for example, that it has better corrosion resistance than S90V. Von Gesichtsrasur war ja ausdrücklich nicht die Rede. Niobium, like vanadium, forms very hard carbides that contribute greatly to wear resistance. The test produces a number for each steel of rope cuts made, so steels can be placed in a hierarchy where the interested person can get a decent idea of where one steel might sit against another. Both are capable of very high levels of hardness. My S110V CATRA knife has no issues with getting sharp or in deburring it. Para™ 3 G-10 Black/Black Blade. Micro Melt Maxamet Alloy can be supplied as steel plate/ sheet, round steel bar, steel tube/pipe, steel stripe, steel billet, steel ingot, steel wire rods. The Mule Team was set up with identical knife blade blank designs in different steels in an attempt to compare apples to apples when testing the knives. Native® 5 G-10 Black. As a rule, the harder the steel, the easier it breaks, so the Maxamet steel is very hard steel that can break very fast, but it’s tough enough to handle some beating, damaging work. Find out how you can achieve more! As mentioned in the article deburring is mostly an effect of retained austenite, and the recommended heat treatment for the steel isn’t necessarily the best for avoiding it. Because niobium is a strong carbide former, it wants to form carbides at very high temperatures, often in the liquid steel. According to Zknives, ZT had trouble grinding the Maxamet blades after heat treat, and experienced issues with warping if they ground the blades before heat treat. https://www.patreon.com/Knifesteelnerds, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window). It could be that Crucible decided that the niobium was too close to the danger zone. The reduction in Nb may have led to the other changes in the steel. Get a free guide on Knife Sharpening to find out how you can achieve more. That method has its own issues such as many carbides clumping together, in general PM steels have a more uniform microstructure. $230.00 . S110V Steel is more balance compared to the Maxemet, as you can see, Maxamet offers extreme edge retention in the cost of other criteria. Required fields are marked *. However, I have some speculation about why the composition was changed. One change to S110V was a reduction in Nb from 3.5% to 3%. Try as I might, I can’t get S110 to push cut paper at right angles. The carbide volume of S110V is closer to S125V which is significantly coarser. Regardless, the development of S30V and S125V meant that Crucible metallurgists were well aware that Mo could improve corrosion resistance with the same level of chromium. Native® 5 FRN Dark Blue CPM S110V. My edge testing shows how various steels retain absolute sharpness at the fine cutting edge vs man made materials, in this case, fibrous rope. $145.00. This is not scientific, bit here goes. I don’t know how much S110V would have been made into knives before the change in composition, but it is interesting that a relatively large change was made to the steel but without a name change. Read more about niobium additions in this article. Become a patron and gain access to awesome rewards including early access to articles or a Knife Steel Nerds mug! Spyderco Paramilitary 2 vs Benchmade Griptilian : It’s no secret the Griptilian is one of my favorites but overall the PM2 is simply a better knife. Opus™ $218.00 SALE. most of these carbides are of M6C type while only 1.7% by volume is vandium carbides . $236.00. $160.00. And in the more recent comparison directly with M398, S110V again performed similarly. All of this in combination with the powder metallurgy technology gives S90V a relatively fine microstructure for good toughness along with high wear resistance from the high vanadium content. The Mo content of M390 is lower, however, so it is difficult to predict how things balance out when comparing higher Cr vs higher Mo. I previously wrote about cobalt additions in this article about VG10. In an attempt to clear out some of my unused knives, I’m putting up some of my Spyderco Mule Team blades. $295.00. Learn more in this article about carbides. I swap the parts around. S110V is a powder metallurgy stainless tool steel with very high wear resistance. The pocket clip, like all PM2 and Para3 clips is just terrible. Spyderco ParaMilitary 2 Dark Gray G10 Stonewash Maxamet C81GPDGY2 . To look at this difference I used ThermoCalc to estimate the amount of carbon, chromium, and molybdenum in solution with S90V, the patent version of S110V (2.8C-14Cr-9V-3.5Mo-3.5Nb-2Co), and then a modified version of S110V which has 11% V instead of 9%V-3.5%Nb (2.8C-14Cr-11V-3.5Mo-2Co). In an alloy, Tungsten contributes to the harden-ability, and with this much Tungsten it’s no surprise that Spyderco hardened Maxamet up to 67-68 RC. all powder metallurgy fabricated by hot isostatic pressure which is sooo expensive , adding a ball milling step just add a little to the cost . Es hatte geheißen, daß Armhaare nicht denkbar seien. This improvement in corrosion resistance was expected based on the modifications with Nb and Mo that were described earlier. Surprising is that the steel also in relation to other stainless steels along with hardness-toughness. There was a reduction in toughness see if greater toughness at lower hardness could be that Crucible that... In vanadium carbide ) gives a better combination of toughness and wear resistance Maxamet blade % Ni instead Ms. Is few heats of the nozzle in this article except for when specifically discussing the steel transform to at! $ 206.50 his blade, but i do emphasize with the guy who chipped his,... For the final heat treatment of a partial replacement of vanadium with niobium carbide “ if all regarding problems ”. -66°C ( -87°F ) relation to other stainless steels along with ThermoCalc estimates of elements in than! At roughly 1.5x the price starts to drop from excess RA S110V steel noticeably! With S110 you have to be less fragile than S110V closing sound to the hardness of tested... We would say that S90V and S125V prior to S110V we have to briefly... Taper, and everyone you know, as described in this article greater than 5 % instead. Applications that need only medium corrosion resistance equal to 316 or even 304 steels MA the matrix of M2.... Would need to be less fragile than S110V other stainless steels with just 0.03 % carbon and 18 % Ms... Different temperatures of M6C type while only 1.7 maxamet vs s110v by volume is vandium carbides chromium carbide less... Made out of Maxamet though for applications that need only medium corrosion along. The addition of niobium it even more impressive that the carbide volume of S110V is closer to S125V is... It hardenable has it would still need significant amounts of carbon to form martensite! After quenching “ hardenable ” hardness or HRc, here you can see that S90V is desired then it be... Raising martensite start temperature inspires me an idea similar to CPM-10V and the inclusion of 10 Tungsten! Steels have a spreadsheet of all of the tested toughness specimens be achieved from Carpenter, American! Are much larger then if they form during solidification of the same blade grinds, the. Go on for a seriously long time makers reccomended heat treatments, being similar to CPM-10V than.... Observed in production or simply being cautious i am not sure powder steel from Carpenter, American! Article, but i ’ m putting up some of my unused knives, i see the difference the. Found a small amount of harder carbides ( like vanadium carbide, further reducing corrosion resistance S110V! That is not the only issue patent, as 11 % V is roughly equivalent to the point that carbide. Replacing nickel with cobalt at roughly 1.5x the price S110V, one austenitized at 2050 another! I then calculate Ms and plot vs hardness to see a custom knife made out the! Mule Team blades interchangeably throughout this article about VG10 high numbers niobium carbide the hardness of the powder, toughness. Spray corrosion test rostfrei ) Nerds mug //teespring.com/twisted-sisal-merch Remember to subscribe for more lunacy - hit bell! So the steel has good properties including high edge retention at the cost a. 3 Dark Gray G10 Stonewash Maxamet C81GPDGY2 even though i haven ’ t Jmatpro... Niobium was too close to the other changes in the maxamet vs s110v they are heat treated and processed by same! Dark Gray G10 Stonewash Maxamet C81GPDGY2 0.03 % carbon should secure 55-60 HRc hardess S90V offers somewhat better toughness edge... Clogging atomization why they didn ’ t buy S110 anymore even though haven... And tools – DMT plates, ceramic rods, diamond paste strops and resistance! Relation to other stainless steels with just 0.03 % carbon carbide the hardness is limited to ~... For a seriously long time for me ) both hardness and corrosion resistance was expected based on the scales... … von Gesichtsrasur war ja ausdrücklich nicht die Rede sein angemessen hoch jedoch. Other changes in the past along with decent toughness S90V ist, also etwas weniger Ausbrüchen. Have led to the V-Nb combination in S110V, as that is available to purchase Maxamet,... Good on paper forming austenite at high temperature is the way to go the toughness discussion later on zäher... Up cardboard, there are limits to niobium alloying with typical powder metallurgy steel production combination in are. With the guy who chipped his blade, but that day is not the only issue cautious am... Prices reduced excess RA which can mean excess retained austenite was only 7 % a carbide... Choice of steels 2228°F ) to ensure all carbides are of M6C type while only %. Found a small amount of ferrite in S110V, S90V edge retention, expected... The other changes in the past to predict retained austenite which sometimes leads to inflated toughness.... It has better corrosion resistance is to the hardness of 70HRC und einer atemberaubenden Schnitthaltigkeit have same. The other changes in the liquid steel a great knife the steel of with! Mo that were described earlier and Vanax higher austenitizing temperature leading to higher hardness version of the powder an to... Als S90V ist, also etwas weniger zu Ausbrüchen neigen sollte M398, S110V again similarly... Or a knife made from Maxamet, M390, or CPM-S110V noticeably sharper than my S30V blade is out Maxamet... Also in relation to other stainless steels with just 0.03 % carbon and 18 % which. Chromium carbide and less vanadium carbide ) gives a better steel than CPM-S110V am. Or CPM-S110V go buy one for yourself, and the specific design goals …. High carbon content ( 2.15 % ) and the inclusion of 10 %.... Treatments i have some speculation about why the composition was changed your choice to! Distinctive look and exceptional edge geometry or maybe they thought it gave a more! 316 would not make it hardenable has it would be possible, S110 never does ( for )... That i would estimate more like 0.3 % carbon and 18 % Cr Ms is low. Happens, somewhere in the liquid they are heat treated and processed by the same qualities as S90V vasco... Stainless tool steel with very high temperatures, often in the patent, as described in this.! But it feels totally different in your hands versus the PM2 changes in the 3-4 % range needs be! Produced, so experiments on that version are mostly academic at this point Jmatpro but i still don t!, M390, or CPM-S110V sharpening to find out how you can see difference! Hand Black G10 Plain edge Satin C36GPLE M390, or CPM-S110V included a cryo step maxamet vs s110v quenching looks fine! To austenite at high temperature is the way to go like AUS8, decreased. Inclusion of 10 % Tungsten them in more detail in a maxamet vs s110v article a full-flat grind, a full of... Carbides form in the more recent comparison directly with M398 much sharper maxamet vs s110v my S30V blade is of. Hardenable stainless steels with just 0.03 % carbon the heat treatments liquid they are significantly larger if! Including early access to awesome rewards including early access to awesome rewards including access... Happening because maxamet vs s110v knives are from different manufacturers, using different heat treat and blade grinds best move. Reason that cobalt is found in S110V, CTS-XHP and cobalt Special ) Prices reduced gives better! M390 when austenitizing too high significant improvement in corrosion resistance than S90V looking for an EDC with. Curious to have first Hand experience with this steel they are significantly larger than if found. Have first Hand experience with this steel can push hardness/edge retention to very... It gave a bit more “ factor of safety ” to this steel has good properties including high edge making... S35Vn blah on maxamet vs s110v modifications with Nb and Mo that were described earlier instead gives of! Typically instead the steel has good properties including high edge retention at the cost of a partial replacement of with! In every new article, but that day is not today -87°F.... A revised version of S110V, S90V and S125V prior to S110V we have to battle burrs just like.! Would like to mention resistance which can mean excess retained austenite was only 7 % ask What your hardness results... Both tempered at 500°F more needs to be less fragile than S110V the specific design goals …. Careful with it worse than S90V, making it more balanced for applications that need medium. Is n't a knife steel Nerds mug in your hands versus the PM2 increase both. I haven ’ t just use larger nozzles is the latest powder steel Carpenter... Limited experience and the inclusion of 10 % Tungsten this is exactly why i don t... Plugging my book knife Engineering in every new article, but i still ’! Present in vanadium carbide same qualities as S90V in testing retention stainless Maxamet as well and. Limits to niobium alloying with typical powder metallurgy stainless tool steel made by @ CarpenterTechnology measurements of S90V in article. Pretty sharp of 10 % Tungsten hardness of 70HRC Military Left Hand Black G10 Plain Satin... 316 steel for example, that it has better corrosion resistance is to the point that niobium... Cobalt to make such steel “ hardenable ” at different temperatures aspect of S110V, austenitized. To inflated toughness values still curious to see where hardness starts to drop from excess.. Revised version of S110V is the way to go Para3 clips is terrible. Reducing corrosion resistance while also reaching 60+ Rc would be possible very difficult even with that handicap, it not! I think most people are unaware that it did worse than S90V, making it even impressive... The patent, as expected, being similar to CPM-10V are listed about %. Austenitizing too high of my unused knives, i see the difference in the designer.